Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kitchen Installation is Half Done

Our kitchen installation started last week and is more than half done. Here the units are being placed in the right position and while it is decided that they aren't quite right, we add an extra unit to balance the sink out. What will be the glass wall units start to go up in the corner. I am really impressed with the saw that our kitchen installer/joiner, Bill, has. He calls it flippy because it flips between a table saw... ...and a mitre saw. Here Bill is demonstrating the "flip". Our specially made unit for our extra large Belfast sink. Our wooden Iroko counter tops get fitted into place. Our sink is slotted in and gets reinforced. Two people can barely lift that thing. Okay, Nigel and I can barely lift it. Looking in the other direction. Bill begins to build a fake chimney breast to house our cooker and extractor fan and to balance out the big beam on the right hand side. In the hollow side he puts two units facing left. If you are wondering why they don't face out...just wait! Our wall units start to come together. As you can see our beam cuts drastically into the cupboard on the left. But there is a plan to it all! Bill fits our window sill out of the counter top too. The top trim gets put on the cupboard and the giant cupboard on the right houses our combination boiler which must be on an outside wall (there are pipes running outside from that cupboard). We have an excellent plumber, Les Ward, who put in a whole new boiler system. The fake chimney breast is drywalled... ...and plastered (pink). Then our feature is made. This was the sketch I handed Bill. What he made was clever, simple and extremely effective. Here is a photo tonight in the kitchen. A lot of the cupboard doors are on...we are still awaiting the handles and some missing doors/shelves/kickboards. The electrician has to come before we move appliances into place. Wow. We do love it already! The general feeling we want is emerging. Electricians, plumber, tiler, and painting next. Our kitchen fitter, Bill, with his friend Dave are doing an excellent job. http://www.billskitchens.co.uk

11 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

Yahooooo!!!

Mama Bear said...

wow! this looks awesome!!! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Sharalee Regehr said...

This looks great. I am impressed. Are you installing it your self you handy thing?

Ann Tk said...

Yip! Yip! Yippee!!!! Michal and Nigel, this is starting to look very beautiful. The reward is starting to come for all the suffering of the renovations. You have designed a beautiful kitchen.
Love Mom

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Thanks everybody. It is getting there.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

No, we are not installing it ourselves. Bill at http://www.billskitchens.co.uk. His crew included Dave. He came highly recommended by our excellent plumber Les Ward.

judith Hawkins-Cole said...

Hi there, your kitchen looks very nice you must be very proud.
I googled Iroko kitchen worktops in and came across your blog and admired the colour of your cupboards. I am having a kitchen made at the moment with iroko tops and was wondering if you could tell me the colour of the paint you used on the woodwork. I have bought endless samples and they all look so very different when ive tried them out at home. My pantry is starting to look like the tester shelf in homebase. Hope to hear from you soon.
Many Thanks Judith Hawkins-Cole

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Hello Judith,

I am not sure what woodwork colour you are referring to. The stove surround in the pictures above is just plain MDF. We later painted it to match the cabinets which was a light cream. The cabinets are just a solid wood Howdens cream kitchen that come prepainted. Does this help?

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! This kitchen is exactly the sort of thing I would like . Your Bill is a real treasure. Lucky you. A gorgeous kitchen . !!!! Love the way he made the fake chimney breast. The whole thing is beautiful.

anne said...

Hello, I used to have Les Ward's phone number as he was recommended to me as a great plumber/boiler installer. But my mobile deleted all my contacts! I would be so grateful if you could forward me his mobile number? Many thanks!

Anne

Michal said...

Les Ward is at 07958 226416.