Thursday, October 06, 2011

Croatia: Trogir (day 2)

Our host, Niksa Buble, is keen to drive us anywhere we want to go. He suggests on our second day driving us out to Medena Beach, a 10 minute drive up the coast. From there we can walk back along the boardwalk. The water is clear turquoise and yet we don't bring our bathing suits as we plan to go into town one last time. Along the way the path is lined on one side by the Adriatic Sea and on the other by houses and orchards. It reminds me so much of Kelowna, BC, Canada.
There are little walkways down to the water every 20 metres. We watch the local elderly leave their house in nothing but aqua shoes and bathing suits, walk down to the water, swim, then walk back home (drying and sunning as they go). What a healthy lifestyle!
There are olive trees everywhere growing wild and in gardens. Pomegrate trees are also a common site as in the one above.
Our host has grape vines and even larger kiwi vines. I spot a wallop of them hanging and he invites me to pick as many as I want. The 6 I take are still hard, but he assures me they will ripen in a few days. (6 days later they are still as hard as anything). Every day Nigel says to me, "if those things are ripe before we leave this country, I will eat my hat!"
Next we hoof it into town to visit St. Lawrence's Cathedral. The front portal (above) is carved by Slav master-mason Radovan in 1240. The lions carved either side depict Venice and the carvings of Adam and Eve above them are the earliest example of the nude in Dalmation sculpture.
The main chandelier inside the church is lit by candles.
The Baptistry. Signs on every Croatian church at the entrance inform the visitor that there is no photography, no beach wear, no shorts, and a small list of other things. We can take photos in this church though.
The treasury contains countless silver items and several illuminated manuscripts.
The Venetian Gothic tower is worth the climb.
First up the winding stone staircase.
This brings you to the roof of the church where you can look down on the main square below.
From the other side you can see the Loggia and clock tower.
Then begins the dizzying climb up the narrow stone stairs, the barely-there metal stairs, and finally the metal ladder. This is when I start feeling a bit light headed and like I am actually in one of my many recurring dreams. I am always being dragged over a cliff by a gravity force too strong to resist or losing balance from a great height. In fact, I also remember (since being young) a recurring fear of driving over the edge of a cliff while on steep roads.
Once I am at the top, I hang on and readjust and am pretty fine within a few minutes.
The view of the town and harbour is amazing.
And finally a picture of the tower from the church roof.

No comments: