Sunday, October 23, 2011

Croatia: Leaving Dubrovnik

This is our last morning in Dubrovnik. We are due to leave at 10am.
There is one last thing I want to see before we go. I take an early bus by myself into the Old Town and head for the Dominican Monastery which opens to the public at 9am.
Tour groups wander the streets in packs at this hour as the sun is not yet overhead and the heat has not reached its midday peak.
I head into the quiet courtyard of the monastery. The stones make the temperature even cooler and it is a quiet place to come in the morning (until the tours enter a short while later).
There are a few things to see here, a small museum and the church.
Building began on the Gothic-Rennaisance structure in 1301, the city, along with the Dominicans, provided funds and ordered citizens to contribute labour, due to its proximity right up against the city walls by the Old Port. It was constructed around the same time as the city walls.
A well sits unused in the middle of the central cloister.
The church has The Virgin and Child alter piece, 1513, with the bearded donor (from the Dordic family) kneeling at the feet of St. Martin in the lower right.
The Veneto-Byzantine crucifix by Paolo Venziano (14th century) hangs over the main altar.
Leaving the church by a side door one joins the cloister.
The cloister is filled with palm and orange trees.
I find the small museum which houses a small Croatian Renaissance Collection that blows me away. I spend most of the hour I have in this room pouring over technique, colour, gold leaf, composition, and framing. I am in awe.
I exit the monastery
and head down the stairs.
I pass the Old Port entrance on my way out.
The church and monastery resemble a fortress. One last look as I leave Dubrovnik.

No comments: