Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Art Collection Grows

A while back I wrote about the UNMIL T-shirt company that had sprung up here in Monrovia, Liberia. I really love the signs they have outside and had decided I would like to have one. I took a look at them and all 4 were painted on hard formed plastic from previous signs. It would be awkward to transport it around Morocco, our next destination.

One of the UNMIL T-shirt signs outside the shop.

Then I came up with a brilliant idea. I had brought a stack of canvas rolled up. I would ask if they could paint me one on that, roll it up with my own paintings and then build a frame and restretch it back home. Brilliant, I thought.

My own original UNMIL T-shirt sign.

I thought once people saw what I had they were all going to want their own. Instead I got a lot of, "what are you going to do with that?" or just plain, "I don't get it". I explained that this was an amazing piece of art, very particular to a certain time, place and historical event in history. This was a piece of history.

On a side note, when I asked to have it made the artist said that 2 years ago someone else had come in to also enquire about buying one of the signs. I comfort myself to think that another brilliant mind is out there somewhere!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

What's not to get. It's awesome. I can't wait to see it when you and Nigel make your nest.

Ng

Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true English/Art History major. Thanks for the backing.

Tyrone said...

I get it exactly, I would also be impressed to see who paints the majority of quirky billboard signs around here and get smaller renditions...

Or maybe you should collect all the pictures of the signs here in Liberia, pick your favorites, and repaint them in a montage/collage and sell a print of it to me.

Because I am sure I can not pay for an original piece like that from you! (unless of course I can get some credit for the idea...I also know a few websites with extensive sign pictures, but then again you probably do to since you know where my links come from! LOL)

Ruth said...

If it's any consolation, I want one too! I have a collection of such unique-place-and-time-and-political-reality bits and pieces, and most of my friends shake their heads....