Sunday, July 13, 2008

Art Samples

On the last day of school for the high school art class I teach I decided to do some demos of some basic techniques that I do and then leave the kids with the pieces.
Graphite drawing on a grid.
Looking out the ship classroom window to get a couple of scenes, I used a technique of smearing a canvas in dark oil paint (no white is used), moving the paint around with the brush, and wiping out the lighter areas with a cloth.
An impasto approach. I placed a simple object on the table, did a monocromatic underpainting and then filled it in on top very simply. The trick is to realize you don't have to put that much detail in if you get your colours spot on and your drawing technique is sound.
A simple 15 minute portrait of a student using first charcoal followed by oil stick. My Metal Head was done with this technique, although I spent longer on them.

3 comments:

Tyrone said...

Emma Cole?

Anonymous said...

Good guess. I had only 50 minutes to do all the techniques in and didn't spend too much time trying to capture a likeness. I am glad someone could tell who it was!

Helen said...

Very interesting post! Almost like a magician revealing how their tricks are done.