Sunday, July 06, 2008

The 4th of July

With over 150 Americans on board the Africa Mercy one would think that the 4th of July would be the biggest most raucous event of the year. But each person I met said they wanted a quieter get together on the dock. Low key and all inclusive. Sure enough, there was an invitation for every nationality to bring your dinner out to the dock and share in some desserts.
The table of festivities was laden with empty dessert dishes by the time I arrived. The crumbs looked scrumptious though. I snapped away at the colourful crumbs as the captain approached me to see if was actually taking pictures of empty dessert plates. Um, yes, I was.
The crowds sat around in a lot of red, blue, and white.
Here are all the Americans in their group shot.
Tom came out in his event-appropriate shirt. I do notice that he wears it more than once a year.
Mama and baby are wrapped in an American flag.
Faces were painted with flags, polkadots, stars and stripes, by one of my art students. I taught her well. Oh, right, I didn't teach face-painting.
Cheeky canvasses.
The colour coordinated cake turned out to be pink, yellow and green...but that didn't seem to stop anyone from gobbling it down.
And how could you resist when you have a glamour model presenting it to you!
The weather was perfect that day and evening had a breeze that cut the humidity and kept the flag churning.
Hat ware.
A proud American poses as the day comes to an end.
The kids sprawl out on the ground drawing imaginary worlds on the concrete.
Maybe the polkadots were fireworks painted on a cheek or two.
There were no fireworks, instead at the end of the day the light broke through the clouds before setting into the horizon.

FOR MORE PHOTOS FROM THIS EVENT CLICK HERE.

No comments: