Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Happy Canada Day

Every few months the Canadians in Liberia get an email from our consulate's Ambassador in Abidjan in Côte d'Ivoire who routinely travels to Liberia and takes all the Canadians to dinner. There are not many of us in this country. A free dinner is yet another reason to register when travelling abroad in unstable countries.
This is the room at Mamba Point Hotel that was set up and we were presented with a nice buffet.
Above are some of the Canadians who attended the dinner. I sat between the Canadian Counsellor for the Embassy and the Civil Affairs Officer for the United Nations Mission in Liberia.
To register with the Canadian Consulate go to Registration of Canadians Abroad. They take care of things such as safety, evacuation, passports, dead bodies, etc.

The Canadian Government also offers Travel Reports: Warning and Recommendations on any country in the world. Liberia's current status: AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL.

2 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

Gee, I thought I was in that second picture for a minute... Can you tell who I'm seeing? Is she my slightly skinnier, slightly classier double?

Anonymous said...

I am staring at that picture wondering who on earth it is. Funny! Obviously a crew member who has gone home, or a Canadian from another NGO. There is a Canadian on the ship who reminds me of you in looks somewhat. Her daughter also reminds me of you when you were small.