Wednesday, February 10, 2010

life drawing

Life Drawing: one of the most basic staples of a painter's repertoire. The old English Art Academy's would have models for all the students. Art Angel in London offered free Life Drawing classes for two weeks solid in a variety of locations. Above is a 10-15 minute pose that I drew. It got me back to the roots of what I did for years before going to art school. Above are gesture drawing that each life drawing class will start out with for a warm up. The poses are anywhere from 10-30 seconds and in that time you must capture the gesture (pose) and as much blocking in of shadows as you can. Perfecting my technique of the human form. This is another 10 minute pose. The human form is meant to be the most difficult thing to learn to draw. More gesture drawings. If one makes a mistake on drawing a tree or a flower no one would ever know. But on the human form it really stands out. Above on the left we used a technique of not looking at our page and only at the model. On the right we could only use straight lines. I think these may have been continuous line drawings. One of the 10-15 minute poses. And the rest are gesture drawings.

3 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

MAN, Michal. Your figurative art is amazing!! Love love love it!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Hey, thanks, Laura!

AA said...

Great drawings!