Monday, July 06, 2009

Free Pianos

Presented for Sing London and the City of London Festival, 30 street pianos have been installed on streets around London (UK), in public squares and parks, train stations, and markets. Anyone is welcome to sit down and play. I have come across some of these in my wanderings. www.streetpianos.co.uk Here a young man plays the piano... while his friends surround him and proudly announce, "this is our talented friend. He is only 15!" A man in a purple shirt plunks out a few notes in Leicester Square. I came across the crowd above outside a pub in Soho one evening all singing together with beers in their hands. I wove my way to the front and found a great piano player playing any song the crowd requested while everyone sang and swayed to the music. Music really is magic, folks!

5 comments:

Carol said...

This is very cool. What an awesome idea.

Anonymous said...

That is so neat!!! I love it!

T

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

I think it is really great too. There are all sorts of famous musicians who have been snapped playing away at one of the street pianos. Those are the ones that make the paper. I personally thought the pub sing-a-long was totally magic! A bonding community in action!

Tyrone said...

I think you would really love this concept Michal

http://playingforchange.com/

From the music aspect, and the music as art concept. Check it out, I loved the videos and song choices.

Michal said...

Cool! (playingforchange.com)