Friday, July 24, 2009

A Birthday in Paris

A birthday in Paris calls for a special eatery. Chez Marianne has been recommended by my travel book and my studio mate back in London. It is in the Jewish quarter where you can find small winding streets and a falafel joint every few paces. This one is a unique sit down experience. My tired companions eye the red building as we approach and ponder how quaint and French it looks. Their eyes light up when I tell them this is the place we have been searching the alleyways for. The wine comes from Marianne's own busty vintage. I choose a platter for two...vegetarian with falafels, hummous, couscous...10 dishes in all densely packed onto one large plate with bread and pita on the side. Bon Appetit! My young suspicious companion is not so sure about this foreign fare. He sticks to his coke and watches to make sure no one else in the party is poisoned before he venturs to try some new dishes. A happy birthday!

4 comments:

M said...

Happy birthday, from across the ocean!

Michal said...

Thanks, Mark! I know a lot of Marks from across the ocean so I am thinking of all of you as I respond...and suspecting one of you!

Tyrone said...

Probably a very severely late Happy Birthday!, but I am just now catching up on your blog!

But the food and busty vintage look delicious, we have been falafel fans (and all the condiments/side dishes that come with!)for awhile now...I make my own at home as well.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

I will have to get your falafel recipe, Tyrone!