Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Other Non-Fiction I Would Like to Read

Spent by Frank Lipman, M.D. I came across an article in a magazine for this book and it sounded fascinating. I hear he is on YouTube too. It is a book inspired by noticing a trend among his female patients of feeling tired after 8 hours sleep, craving sugar after meals, feeling exhausted, struggling to lose weight and concentrate: in short, spent. He noticed that his poorer patients when he had worked in South Africa had more energy than the affluent "sushi-eating, treadmill-pounding Manhattanities". He points out some reasons why. His old patients lived in accordance with nature and their DNA. They woke when it got dark and ate foods that were in season. He has some interesting eating suggestions, which I won't get into here, but what I liked was his "electronic sundown". He says, "electricity is burning us out. Dalily exposure to computers and mobiles overstimulates us and ruins our sleep. I tell my clients to have an electronic sundown at 10pm, and turn off everything electrical." This includes emailing, TV, texting and exposure to electromagnetic fields (which too close to bedtime stops melatonin, the sleep hormone). "And don't charge your mobile on your bedside table - the signal it gives off also interferes with restorative sleep." -Article by Maria Lally, Grazia Magazine

2 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

We've started reading it, and it's quite interesting! Here's the link to him on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSM2OSQMMRM

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Thanks, Laura!