Friday, April 24, 2009

Mercy Ship Talk

I attended a talk this year by a dentist who had worked briefly on the Mercy Ships in Liberia. Nigel and I were invited as guests by a surgeon to the members only event that was made up of mostly medical doctors in different disciplines. I was very interested in hearing someone elses talk after Nigel and I had given two already on our experience. Well, no one can quite prepare you for suddenly having background knowledge on what would turn out to be a bit of a scam talk. I can only say that Nigel and I were incredulous as we listened to tales of patients who we had been directly involved in. One funny story he had involved the sunken ship that sat beside our ship in the harbour. He had some elaborate story about how it sunk and a dozen people were killed. They had never recovered the bodies but the ship had been dragged out to sea. The photos show this very same ship, which still sits in Monrovia's dock half sunk. It was being loaded or unloaded and became unbalanced and tipped over. The ship loses the country US$3000 a day in port fees by just sitting there. There are so many sunken ships in the port that the port police have to navigate you through to your own dock. Fortunately, there were no deaths and the ship was still sitting there when we left, despite efforts to refloat it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really like the first picture michal. so, did you end up chatting with the dentist afterwards?

Anonymous said...

actually, i like all of these pictures. very nice. i suppose the first is just my favourite.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

I really like the first picture too.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Yes, we ended up sitting at the same table as him for dinner. I am not sure what he thought. He was a talker and if he realised, then he just kept on talking to cover it up. We were quite amused by the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

ah, I've met talkers before, I can somehow picture it. thanks for all the little stories.

Michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

We concluded after the talk that someone who had not been in Liberia or on the ship would have no idea what it was like from his talk.

stephanie barton said...

He was probably the same dentist that asked who was going to do his laundry and clean his cabin.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Actually, I don't think it was the same one. This one had been quite a number of times before, shockingly.