Thursday, April 16, 2009

I am Stuck on Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle has taken the Internet world by storm and everyone wants her to succeed. I can not stop watching her performance and find myself equally endeared to her character, her sense of humour, her authenticity, and her lovableness. Lisa Schwarzbaum asked in her article, "why do we all cry when we listen to Ms. Boyle?" She does reorder the popular world's view of beauty, transforming from quirky and loveable to stunning when she sings. The rest of what we focus on becomes irrelevant: the latest fashions, the celebrity culture we are all mesmerised with, and the self-packaging we all present to be accepted. She is not a trained singer, has not been moving in the right circles, has not bought into the "steps for success" that seem so essential when working towards an arts career. She has simply been caring for her aged mother who died two years ago at 91, singing only in Karaoke and her church. I am encouraged for the world of arts. I am weary with the theory that unquestionably goes along with being a visual artist. The discourse is exhausting and rarely feels authentic or humble. It is easy to get discouraged when focusing on it and this performance and person suddenly make it as irrelevant as I hoped it was. Many viewers have commented on a higher Universe that has given Ms. Boyle her talent. When I hear such raw beauty I don't doubt for a minute that the Creator of the Universe especially gave that talent to her. In this raw and unpackaged individual, we stare into the face of God's beauty when she sings and something unjust is made just. That is why I believe we are all inexplicably moved to tears. So forget the celebrity gossip. Forget trying to make the perfect career move. Do what you love to do to the best of your abilities. I ask myself, "what would I paint if no one else was ever going to see it?" Susan Boyle hit me somewhere deep. Our celebrity culture is suddenly exposed as irrelevant, distasteful, and complete false. I am left remembering that the real in us is the most beautiful, warts and all.

4 comments:

M said...

You've hit the nail on the head, Michal. In her, we see beauty that hasn't been all trussed up. We might even catch a glimpse of redemption. I can't stop watching her either.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Thanks, Mark.

It feels like truth is hitting the world. I like it. I really like it.

michal said...

Click on the link below for more footage and BBC interview.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7999727.stm

michal said...

I have counted over 22 million Youtube hits for Susan Boyle singing. This is only the beginning.