Thursday, April 03, 2008

My Art Collection

I purchased my first Liberian painting this month. I was browsing at the Village General Art & Craft (one of the stores in the craft market) who supply the Monrovia Museum. They sell masks from the 16 Liberian tribal groups (a stunning display), sculpture, drums, toy cars made out of flip flops, and a whole slew of paintings.

Normally when I go to most developing countries the same style pervades the tourist and craft markets. The above picture is a simplified version of that style. It sells and like artists anywhere you are always caught between producing what sells and really pushing your own boundaries.

I made a quick scan of all the paintings and this one caught my attention. It was so unusual that I continually looked back at it as I perused the rest of the work. The quoted asking price was US$45. I left not sure if I really did want it or not. But I continued thinking about the piece and finally went back to purchase it for US$35 (the owner's son was now quoting me US$65).

I imagine the young boy is Liberia with his lack of food (or ability to sustain industry and infrastructure on its own) and has a ways to grow before the helping hand (NGO's?) leaves him to sustain himself.

No comments: