Saturday, April 05, 2008

Cinnamon Buns for 900

All this cooking in Liberia reminds me of the 3 seasons I worked on Keats Island in Canada off the coast of British Columbia as an Assistant Head Cook. We baked cinnamon buns for 900 bi-weekly.

The region is one of the most stunning I have seen in all my travels.

This was my accommodation. I just couldn't face the dormitory rooms.

Cinnamon buns: we started with a big pot of dough.

Just to show you how big the pot is compared to a human head we had the head chef lie down next to it.

It took 4 of us to lift it up.

It is poured out onto a floured cart. This way it doesn't take up counter space and can be wheeled into a corner.




Next we let it rise for half an hour (unless the kitchen is hot) and cut it into smaller chunks to relax the dough.

These are rolled out flat and topped with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

Next they are rolled up.

And chopped.


And finally trayed. Let them rise another half hour until proofed and then bake until golden brown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, George told me about this blog yesterday morning and how he was craving cini buns as a result. Made em for dessert yesterday-mmmm good! Thanks for the cooking inspiration Mic.

Love
Teresa

Laura and Ryan said...

Wooo! Those look good! But where is the picture of the finished product? Those cinnamon buns are so good!