Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Entering the Equatorial Zone

As we were 5 days at sea we basked in a wonderful air conditioned atomospere inside the ship. But as we neared the equator something unexpected happened. It grew hazy outside. Now I was expecting heat but I did not expect humidity so thick you could literally see it in the air. If you went out on deck for a time you would actually become damp. It was magical.
It was hard to take pictures as my camera kept fogging up.At night Nigel and I would go up on deck and look at all the stars. It was amazing to be out on the ocean with no land mass in sight (and no light pollution) and be able to see the bright stars. We spent a late 2 hour shift on pirate watch. It was equally fascinated by the dark corners people hid in order to get a private spot on the upper most deck in the dark. Quarters are tight on the ship.
These are some of my friends from the galley. They keep the kitchen bilingual (they are from French speaking Guinea). They are the nicest people to work with. I have never seen anyone scrub 20 large oily bacon pans and still have a smile on thier face! Unfortunately for me they are only in the galley for the sail...their real jobs are land based projects that the Mercy Ships do in Liberia. Did I mention there are a lot of nurses in the kitchen at the moment too?

No comments: