Sunday, May 22, 2011

Torquay: UK

Nigel has a conference in Torquay, the third largest settlement in Devon, in the south of England. We pile into a car with a number of other anaesthetists and make the 4 hour journey down. While they are all at the conference I spent the day wandering the coastal town. Our B&B is a couple of blocks from the bay and I wander down to take a look. It isn't as warm as one would expect to go swimming, but I notice it is mostly children swimming. The beach steps have grown green with seaweed. I wander into the town centre. I discover Torquay, population 64,000, is mainly elderly people. The shops all cater to the aging population. Torquay was the home to author Agatha Christie who lived most of her life there. Historically it was initially a fishing and agriculture town. In the early 19th century the town began to change into a popular seaside resort. It was initially used by members of the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars and later by the cream of Victorian society as the town's fame spread. Renowned for its healthful climate, the town earned the nickname of the English Riviera. The next day Nigel skips out on the morning bit of the conference and we wander a coastal trail. Hey, wait for me, Nigel! It does have a Mediterranean feel to it. The water is BLUE! What you can't see is the international lasering competition. The lasers are too small in this shot. We reach the next beach but decide not to descend so I can catch my train back to London and Nigel can make the second half of that day's conference.

No comments: