Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sash Windows, French Doors, and Steel: Sorted!

Today was such a crazy day with different trades coming that I couldn't go into the studio. The windows installers tiptoed around the builder's all day in order to install our French doors and triple sash kitchen window. The builders were busy installing the steel box frame and tiptoeing around the window installers, careful not to damage the windows. I was following the builder around asking him constant questions in order to clarify what I wanted, what he was doing, and at what point to call in the other trades. One mistake I made along the line was in ordering the above window. The window company asked me if they were to include seals or not. I had no idea. I asked the builder who didn't know what I was talking about. I went back to the window company and said I didn't know...but that the builders just gave me the dimensions of the opening and this is what they were. And this is the resulting mistake. Note the bottom of the window. No SILLS! In the British accent I obviously can't tell if someone is saying "seal" or "sill". It never occurred to me to think "sill" because I have never installed windows before. I guess the window company just decided on no sills on the window on my behalf. This is the sill that comes with the window if you don't have one on the house. These are the concrete sills that are original and previously built in. We ended up with no sills on anything. So what happens now? Well, we either get new windows or have the bricklayer painstakingly chip out a layer of bricks and put in a concrete sill. A costly mistake. The builders told me if ever I was unsure again to call them any time to ask a question. "It is better to take a bit more time and make sure to do it right the first time," they told me. Yeah, but I was sure they said "seal". And here is the box frame steel in white that was finished being installed today. It goes down both side walls through the floor and above to hold up the back brick wall. A view of the other side of the steel. All in all, the results are looking pretty good. To recap, this is how it started... And this is where we are at so far. This next week going in is a natural black slate roof with 3 skylights that will slant up to under the upper windows. It should look beautiful! Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Mama Bear said...

wow, what a change from before! There's going to be so much light coming in! Windows and doors look great!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

It is such a drastic change just today that I keep standing in the room in awe. I am hoping with the sky lights it will stay really bright.

Laura and Ryan said...

That looks great!! As for the window mistake, any of us Canadians may have done the same thing. :)

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

And in fact, although the builders were lamenting no sill arriving with the window, the concrete sill they are now putting in will look much more to the period and a nicer look.

Anonymous said...

MICHAL -- Erica here -- Looks fantastic -- I'm booking a trip to London for September -- if you are around I would love to have lunch in your, what do the English call it? burrough? and a tour of the newly renovated home (sweet home)!!!!!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Hi Erica! It will be great to see you! I knew you were coming as I ran into Lulu at my group exhibition in London. She was there to see another artist she knew. What a coincidence. If you need a place to stay...do stay!