Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Building Carries On

This building thing does get tiring. The excitement is soon replaced by the realisation that no matter how good your builders are they always want to cut corners and you always have to keep on top of things to make sure it is going the way you want it to. Above the beam is finally in place. You can see the bricks that have been knocked out above the beam to fit the beam in. Here you see the gaps have been filled with whatever size block fits. It is bolted at all four corners. (Didn't anyone check the angles with a square?) The bottom of the beam drops into the floor. The beam in the floor is surrounded by blue plastic damp proofing and ready for cement. And here it is all cemented! Now we have the roof rafters framed and the 3 skylights outlined. Oh, it is going to be nice. I am really still excited when I look at these things. The skylights sit waiting. Tomorrow the roofers arrive to put the Spanish slate roof on. All was going well until someone connected the bathroom fan with the kitchen extractor fan. Uh, boys? I want to smell pooh when I cook as much as I want to smell curry when I pooh. (That's an original Michal quote if you think I got it from somewhere else. Ha!). I found myself up in the middle of the night brushing up on my ducting. Then I just called my dad to ask him. They are starting to box in the beam and pipe work too. The panel with all the piping will have a removable panel so that we can access it when we redo the upstairs bathroom. Drainage pipes run along the outside of the brick wall and then down the large grey sewage exterior that you can see above. (notice the kitchen and bathroom hoses have been separated now) And because I like the builders and do really think they are good (and maybe even softies at heart), here is a picture of the two cement window sills that they got to correct my mistake on the window order.

3 comments:

Ann Tk said...

These are amazing pictures. Thank you for keeping us up to date.

Laura and Ryan said...

Yahooo!! This is the best way to see a transformation - really quickly in one update. Love it!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Thanks, guys! Yes, we are now considering for the moment scrapping all the other things we were going to do to the house to see if we can get the loft done this year too. VAT (like GST) is going up to a whopping 20% next year thanks to the new government.