Sunday, October 04, 2009

French Women Don't Get Fat

Someone recommended the book "French Women Don't Get Fat" to me describing it as a cultural eating comparison between France and the United States. It is written by a French woman who describes gaining 10 kilograms on a school exchange to the States when she was a teenager and how it made her look closely at the differences in both cultures' approach food. Previously I had thought it was a diet book and avoided it. But really the subtitle is what sums up the book: "The Secret of Eating for Pleasure". The book can be divided into three: an anthropological comparison between France and the States, a cookbook, and as an ideology for real foodies. It is also a "diet" book, but only in the sense that it preaches less vast amounts of crap on the run and more savouring of smaller portions of quality cuisine. I really love the book. It is the ultimate "diet" for people who love their food and can't bare to give up good food at the cost of being thin. Yet it works at getting you into a healthy body as well!

6 comments:

AmyQ said...

I LOVE this book. It is really inspiring and although it takes a bit to switch over your habits - it is a really good process - for your soul and your body.

michal said...

So others have read it! Good to know.

Laura and Ryan said...

I've heard of this book. I want to check it out now!

n said...

I borrowed the book on your recommendation and I love it. It's cute and has a lot practical advice.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Someone told me there is a sequel to this book.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Someone told me there is a sequel to this book.