Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Long Way Gone

A LONG WAY GONE: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

New York City, 1998

My high school friends have begun to suspect I haven’t told them the full story of my life.


“Why did you leave Sierra Leone?”

“Because there is a war.”

“Did you witness some of the fighting?”


“Everyone in the country did.”


“You mean you saw people running around with guns and shooting each other?”


“Yes, all the time.”

“Cool.”


I smile a little.


“You should tell us about it sometime.”


“Yes, sometime.”


In early 1993, when I was 12, I was separated from my family as the Sierra Leone civil war, which began two years earlier, came into my life. The rebel army, known as the Revolutionary United Front (R.U.F.), attacked my town in the southern part of the country. I ran away, along paths
and roads that were littered with dead bodies, some mutilated in ways so horrible that looking at them left a permanent scar on my memory. I ran for days, weeks and months, and I couldn’t believe that the simple and precious world I had known, where nights were celebrated with storytelling and dancing and mornings greeted with the singing of birds and cock crows, was now a place where only guns spoke and sometimes it seemed even the sun hesitated to shine. After I discovered that my parents and two brothers had been killed, I felt even more lost and worthless in a world that had become pregnant with fear and suspicion as neighbor turned against neighbor and child against parent. Surviving each passing minute was nothing short of a miracle. After almost a year of running, I, along with some friends I met along the way, arrived at an army base in the southeastern region. We thought we were now safe; little did we know what lay ahead.

This is how wars are fought now: by children, traumatized, hopped-up on drugs and wielding AK-47s. Children have become the soldiers of choice. In the more than fifty conflicts going on worldwide, it is estimated that there are some 300,000 child soldiers. Ishmael Beah used to be one of them.

Beah, now twenty-six years old, tells a powerfully gripping story: At the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he’d been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts. At sixteen, he was removed from fighting by UNICEF, and through the help of the staff at his rehabilitation center, he learned how to forgive himself, to regain his humanity, and, finally, to heal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The recent movie Blood Diamonds starring Leonardo Di Capriano demonstrates the agony of a father who has lost a child taken to be a soldier, and the difficult journey for that child back to being a human being who can feel once again.
Geo