Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nigel's Incident


Nigel points out to me the drama with which I retell my harrowing experiences. He also points out very occasionally how he too had an experience that he does not dramatize or retell everyone in ear shot. I firmly believe that is why I am the perfect partner for him: I can dramatize everything for him!

During the same weekend away as my "bug in ear" incident (in Chinguni Hills in Malawi), we were lucky enough to have a family of 81 elephants come through the camp. They are extremely dangerous and we were watching from a safe spot. I had my camera and was ready to shoot any that came into good view. I didn't want to miss a moment.

They were moving closer every moment. From behind me I hear, "Michal. Michal, I can't see". I turn to see Nigel standing behind me facing another other direction, obviously not aware of where I was. I quickly go over to him, as I have some good shots to get and don't want to be distracted longer that I need to be.

I look at him and he has approximately 10 black bugs (a bit bigger than fruit flies) latched to his bottom eye lid, their heads in his eye. "Where are those from?", I exclaim. "I think they are coming from the elephants", Nigel responds. I reach for a bug, not sure whether they are dead or not. I grab it and as soon as I let go it flies away. They seemed to be sucking his eye juice. I grab the rest one at a time in a fast motion. He blinks as the last one is removed and is relieved he can see again. I return my focus quickly to the excitement of the elephants eating shrubs metres from where I am.

Mere minutes later I hear again from behind me, "Michal, I can't see! Can you get the bugs out of my eyes again?" I turn around again, not wanting to take more than a few moments and see his lower lids covered in bugs sucking the liquid from his eyes. I remove them again.

Needless to say, we went through this scene a few times. Nigel neither complained or panicked. I was always distracted and more interested in the elephants. He never told his story to illustrate how he suffered or how dramatic his life was. Most of all, he tolerated being dealt with in a rush (all for elephants) incredibly well.

Nigel, you are a star!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anther wonderfully discusting story from you guys! Nigel, I read the story to SHelagh at work and we laughed and thought it was aweful. I hope you are laughing at it now two. Have fun in Liberia!! HAHA! You guys are wonderful. We miss you and can't wait to hear from you again.

TP

Laura and Ryan said...

Um, Michal. What were you thinking? You should have taken a picture of Nigel's eye-sucking bugs for the blog!!! Ahem!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. Nigel's such a trooper! You guys make a great pair!