Thursday, January 31, 2008

Blantyre, Malawi

As usual I have fallen behind in my blogs. I am no longer in Malawi, but will show you a few pictures of places we visited and lived.


This was the walk from our home to the large grocer and the University.


Polina was one of Nigel's coleagues who we got along with swimmingly well.


A shot of downtown Blantyre. It wasn't a big city in terms of western cities, but you could find a lot of stuff if you poked around in all the shops. It is Malawi's biggest city.


A man carries crates of pop on his head.


This is the mini bus station. All the white vehicles are the regular mode of transport in Malawi. it is cheap and relatively fast. You will be crammed in with 20 people, children and animals. Don't get on an empty mini bus as you could be waiting an hour. They don't leave until they are full.


The Malawi market was one of my favourites. You could get anything in there, including deep fried intestines of some sort! I did a lot of my shopping for produce and other things there.



Inside the market. The chetengies on the right were yards of fabric that women used for all sorts of things including carrying their children on their backs, skirts, blankets, etc..


A typical street in Malawi. During evening rush hour instead of cars there were crowds of people walking in the streets to get home.



Our Street.


A short cut path to a different neighbourhood.


A dried out Maize field.


Following some Malawian women.

1 comment:

Laura and Ryan said...

I love the photos. It gives me such a better idea of what it was like there. AND makes me want to go to Africa too!