Thursday, June 08, 2006

A Glimpse of London

I don't like taking pictures in public. There is something about looking like a tourist and not blending into foreign surroundings that curdles every bone in my body. My 2 cameras are used almost exclusively for documenting my art. Photographs don't capture what I require. I don't get the breeze, the smells, the sounds, the feeling I had, or the mood I was in. Instead, I am all for my hard-drive brain storing, blurring, exaggerating, and making others into monumental adventures. But I realise the strength of the visual can be stronger than words. On that note, here are some pictures of London. Most are blurry and not well composed. This is due entirely to the fact that I was whipping my camera out for mere seconds before jamming it into hiding again.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I think photographs can capture most of what you're looking for. As with paintings, it all depends on the eye of the person behind the lens.

Speaking of that eye, I think your pictures capture something more than a postcard - despite, or perhaps because of, your surreptitious snapping.

BTW, we'd love to store any of your paintings. My dad has professed a preference for anything large and nude (just kidding).

Keep up the blog - it's nice to have some connection with your adventures in the mother land.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Hey Michal,

I love reading the blog. It reminds me of when we were in Kenya and we both wrote home. I think I wrote about the emotions I was feeling about everything and everyone and you wrote some beautiful, colorful descriptions of the sights, sounds and smells. I love to see that writing again and I love the contrast.

Take care sissy.
Teresa