Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Boat

I sit in the library trying to concentrate on the research paper that is due in 4 days. I can see from the window that there is a ship being reassembled on the parade ground outside. The tall sails catch the wind and reach higher than the 3rd floor that I am looking out from. I am in the middle of London, England. The press are here and are furiously snapping pictures of this gigantic construction. I run down to meet the girl who is responsible for coordinating this. I hear little tidbits around the school that she has just been sailing across the ocean and is recently returned from India. Lia left for India in her first year of art college and then sailed this boat across the Atlantic back to England. I tell her it is my favourite piece in the Bachelor of Arts Grad show (which opens in a week). She points out it is the only piece that is actually already exhibiting. We talk about travelling. My research paper (on food and culture). Food. She is renacting her ocean voyage and will not "touch ground" for 28 days. Maybe I should bring her some crisps(?). I tell her I will drop in and see her periodically. I hear the sail ripping in the wind as I walk off. In the midst of my research it represents a freedom and travel urge that has suddenly reared its head on this breezy sunny day. I think of India. The ocean. Desserts. Jungles. I think of my "almost husband" and his desire for adventure. We are going to have fun! Yee haw!
  • Her Website
  • 2 comments:

    Ann Tk said...

    wonderful descriptions, Michal.

    Laura and Ryan said...

    I'm a little confused. What is your favourite piece in the exhibiting? The boat? Did she make it? Is the boat sitting on dry ground at the school? Interesting...