Thursday, March 31, 2011

Loft Accessible only by Perilous Ladder

Our loft is developing so rapidly we can't believe it! The hatch in our bathroom is now boarded over so the only way up to take a peek at the work is via this ladder. I was a bit nervous at first, but now go up and down regularly. In the loft space we have the front roof eaves. In the apex of the roof we have put our big water tank (so we get better water pressure). The back roof is starting to be removed and the day light is streaming in for the first time in over 100 years. The floor has been framed over the metal beams and is now boarded over. The neon lights are still on but no longer on the ceiling. They just lean against the wall. The shower room is plumbed in (far corner) and once the roof is removed the whole wall will open up. More pipes. To the left you can see the small side skylight window feature going in the front roof. This whole area with the tools will be boxed in to create the eaves storage. The wall will be about 3 feet high. Above is the removal of the back roof. The stack of old timbers that I am getting to cut up for a wood burning stove lies on the floor. As a result the skip (garbage dumpster) remains relatively empty. I photograph the front apex terracotta tiles as the pattern is a bit off and there are one or two tiles missing. It is best to get that fixed while the scaffolding is up. The wood feature needs repairing too. Our gutters both front and back are also in horrible condition and need replacing. These are thing we will get on top of while we have scaffolding. Look at the original Victorian cast iron fire I just got on eBay for a steal! This will go in our living room. The tiles are changeable too. Next we find this smaller than normal cast iron bath in mint condition that will actually fit into our tiny bathroom. We have yet to buy it though. Nice claw feet!

3 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

I just realized I've been really enjoying your updates but haven't commented. I'm reading them! Love them!! Keep it up!! Can't wait to see more progress on the loft - what an awesome extra space for you guys.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Hi Laura! Thanks for the comment. I do read your too! I am about 3 blogs behind the actual state of progression on our loft. I am caught up now and the rest will go on this weekend. I think it is going to be done very quickly!

Ann Tk said...

I'm with Laura. I'm enjoying reading your blog also and would love to be there watching the project progress. So watching your blog is the next best thing!
Love Mom