Saturday, November 13, 2010

Our Kitchen is Done!

Our kitchen is now done minus some painting. The units all go in. I love the 4 drawers and the wall cabinets. The awkward cupboard that is put in to balance out the big beam is fitted with 4 shelves so that it can be used for spices. We choose a hand made looking brick tile in "cottage cream". Above the white grout still has to go in. We like the definition so much of the shadow between the tiles that we opt for a darker grout. Here is the finished grout which should also be a bit easier to keep clean. Then our cooker and fridge are fitted into place and the cardboard is removed from the floor boards. WOW! We really do love the look of the kitchen. The cooker has an old Victorian/Edwardian look to it. It has 3 ovens: a broiler, regular oven and roaster. We move in our dishes and pots and pans. The trick is to get all our plates, bowls and glasses in the glass cabinet. If you remember, a lot of the cupboards are occupied with the boiler, water softener, washing machine, dishwasher...and maybe water filter at that point. I love cooking on this. It is a gas top and electric ovens. Our retro fridge came fitted with a European fridge plug to our surprise, not a UK one. We called the company and found that because we ordered a rare left hinge fridge they were still accidentally being shipped with the wrong plug. Here is the kitchen view from the fridge. Our washing machine is in the kitchen as they are in the UK. We have a laundry line outside and indoor drying racks for the winter. To the right of that is the integrated dishwasher (looking like a cupboard). You can get integrated anything including fridge, freezer, and washing machine. It is quite a light area at the end of the kitchen with the skylights. Bliss. Our floor really matches the counter tops. And our chandelier (this is the one that Nigel chose second hand) looks great. (my choice will go in the living room). I fill the cupboard up with spices and the deep back bits on the right have the refills stuffed into them. The hidden cupboards to the left of the fake chimney hold all the cookbooks. One of our favourite features is our large Belfast sink that we scrounged from a property that it was being ripped out of. Bill our kitchen fitter/ joiner made this unit especially for us. It may look small in the photo, but that is a very large sink. The view from the French doors. We love it. Next the stove surround feature will be painted and the walls will be green. After that the only thing left in this room is the ceiling rose and the fire place/ pot bellied stove installation.

14 comments:

Carol said...

Looks wonderful Michal!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Thanks! You may get to see it first!

Ann Tk said...

Michal and Nigel,
What a beautiful kitchen! It is so nice to see the table next to it also! Yay! This means the front sitting room has more room in it. Beautifully done! So what are you going to cook up in there??

Joel said...

sink, taps, all the natural lighting are my favorite. and the counter-top. looks like a good home.

michal said...

Thanks, Ann! It is such a relief to have a dining room and kitchen after 6 months. Next time you visit you get to see it!

Thanks, Joel! It was fun to design our own kitchen, but painstakingly tedious.

Laura and Ryan said...

Woo hoo! Looks so good and I am imagining how happy you must be as I read through the descriptions of pictures.

Oh, and do any of us still call mom and dad, "mom and dad" or is Ann and George the family trend now? :)

Laura

Mama Bear said...

This is AMAZING!!! I LOVE it.

Craig-n'-Dana said...

I have such kitchen envy. I had such a reaction when I saw the pictures that Craig thought I hurt myself! Love it! Love it! Love it!!

Elise said...

Wow...amazing!!! I also have kitchen envy!! You did an amazing job. You could have your own designer TV show ;)

I hope to see it in person one day.

Are you still coming to Vancouver next week? We should definitely try to get together if you are.

love Elise

sue said...

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Congratulations Michal (& Nigel)!!! It looks stunning and also comfortable - a good combination.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! SOOOO CLASSY!!! I'm so happy for you guys! It is really lovely!!

Peace be with you both!!!!

Can't wait to see you Michal and Nigel!!

Teresa

AA said...

wow... really nice!

Lisa said...

Looks fabulous!!

Tyrone said...

Its been awhile since I have been to your blog, but I love it that way...because now I can jump thru the posts and see start to finish! I really love this kitchen! And I know that sink is big, I have seen one or two of those.