Sunday, November 14, 2010

Canadian Food I Miss

With my upcoming trip to Canada I again spend time thinking of the foods I would like to eat while I am there and miss while in the UK.
 
Wendy's frosties.
 
Malted Milk was my favourite chocolate bar when I was a teenager.
Peanut butter. Although to be fair, after extensive research I finally found a very hard to find brand here that tastes like Adams Peanut Butter.
Bridge Mixture is one of my favourites!
 
I have found myself dreaming about these Canadian Cheezies.
A nice hot pancake breakfast with maple syrup.

Ketchup chips!
 
Inexpensive and delicious Mexican food.

Hickory Sticks.

Any sort of red licorice...Nibs, Twizzlers...
Frozen perogies from the supermarket. Thankfully I can make these again now that we have a kitchen.

Pumpkin pie. Sigh.
 
Again, anything peanut butter here doesn't exist.

Popcorn isn't that big here. Just a bowl of buttery salty popcorn is something I miss. Oh, and that popcorn with the sauces (Orville Redenbacher) and Smart Foods Cheddar Popcorn.
Black beans. I have on rare occassion found a bag of dried black beans and it says "imported from Canada".

And of course recipes using volume measurements. With this method one can use any cup.
Speaking of baking. There aren't really chocolate chips here either. Luckily, large slabs of good chocolate are cheap here and I just cut those up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am so with you on all of these. On friday, our little family shared a large frosty! Mmmmmm. I've got a new cheap slab of chocolate treat that I will introduce you too. A warning- a big bag of bridge mixture is about 600 or 800 calories. I figured that out after polishing one off- haha!

Teresa

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

So basically if you consider the big bag of Bridge Mixture half of your daily caloric intake, then you are fine!

Fiona said...

how can you live without peanut butter!?!?!?!??! Actually in brazil there are some interesting peanut treats... pe de moleco (foot of a boy) and pe de moca (foot of a girl)... the girl one is just a little more refined. It's like a soft peanut brittle. Pretty good, but I kind of wish they were covered in chocolate.... I must miss reese's.

kthdsn said...

I lived in Toronto for 3 years and I'm back in the UK. I also miss hickory sticks.

I thought I'd mention that Sainsburys sell organic black beans in cartons. I used them a lot in Canada and I was surprised by how difficult they are to find in the UK.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Oh, thank you for that black bean tip! I will look for them at Sainsbury's.