Monday, January 04, 2010

Curbar, UK

We visit friends in the small village of Curbar in the Peak District near Sheffield. We set out to hike up to Curbar Edge (which you can glimpse behind the trees). The view looking back is spectacular the higher we climb. The air is brisk and the fall colours are exactly the palette I like to paint with. Of course I take way too many pictures, as usual. Nigel has to tell the others not to wait for me, that this is normal and I will scramble to catch up as I go. A lone stone house sits under the rocky edge. I would be nervous about falling rocks at that proximity. The day is sunny and brisk. The trees thin out the higher we ascend. We finally reach the top and look down at the surrounding countryside. I love reds. The village of Curbar is barely visible in the clump of trees in the valley below. The sun is glaringly bright. But makes for good shadows. The descent down is surprisingly fast. We wander along the village roads... and are shown an old prison (note the lack of windows). Then meander back to our car... And finally head over to Manchester for the weekend.

7 comments:

Laura and Ryan said...

Wow, that looks so beautiful!!

sue said...

It does look so beautiful! I'd like to travel more in England.

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

It IS beautiful here! Do come and visit!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

It IS beautiful here! Do come and visit!

AA said...

I agree with everyone else! It looks beautiful!

Sarah said...

I am waiting for your blog report on the snow . . . no hurry.

Ann Tk said...

Michal, incredible beauty.