Monday, November 10, 2008

Interesting UK Tidbits

I am studying to take my UK Immigration test and there are all sorts of interesting facts I am learning. I keep getting asked if I am excited about getting my citizenship, but there are steps to go through before I can apply. I started off with a Spousal Visa (I couldn't leave Canada after my wedding until I got it...hence the Canadian honeymoon), and am now applying for Permanent Residency (I still can't vote or access social service funds), and finally citizenship (which of course will remain dual with my Canadian). "Until the late 1950s and early 1960s young people dressed in the same way as their parents, listened to the same music and lived their lives the same way. Then teenagers were invented - the word teenager was brought into use at this time - and suddenly, the advent of the contraceptive pill, pop music from artists such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, teenagers had much more freedom and started to live a different life. Fashion followed and young people soon began to look and behave in a totally different way from their parents." Excerpt from The British Citizenship Test by Bernice Walmsley

No comments: