Friday, November 14, 2008

Chichester

I found myself in the little town of Chichester last weekend for an art show I had been short-listed for: The National Open Art Competition. The show has been around for awhile, but it has gone upscale this year with a jury of established members of the London art community coupled with some big prize money to draw in artists from the entire country. I arrived by train in the morning and wandered in the town until the show was due to start. The weather was a bit nippy which I am so enjoying after a year in Africa. I made my way to the exhibition and being one of the first ones I was able to get some shots before the crowds entered (about 10 minutes later). People milled about drinking wine and eating crisps. I chatted with another artist who had come from Liverpool that day. This was one of my favourite pieces in the exhibition and I couldn't believe how low the price was. An installation shot of my work (lower left). The centre piece for the exhibition. Then before I knew it the show was over and I headed back out to wander the streets again. The sun began to set and I wonder to myself what I am going to do that evening. I have a B&B booked, but I don't want to go back too early. I discover the Chichester Cathedral which is famous and visited by Gandhi and other world figures. It was too dark by the time I realized there was a Marc Chagall stain glass window. I discovered there was an Evensong Service in 20 minutes and wandered in to hear the men and boys' choir and to take part in the service. It was really relaxing. In fact, I sat there comparing the two events that evening, the art opening and the contemplative service. I felt calm in the cathedral. Big art openings often have the feeling of scrambling to me: scrambling to the top, scrambling ahead of the next artist, scrambling to be noticed, scrambling to stay relevant, scrambling to keep exhibiting. When does the scrambling stop? I can get drained and if I am honest, quite disillusioned by the whole thing. I really do think there is a place for truth, as I have decided this might be the key issue, in the art world. By truth I mean unabashed honesty in who we all are. (more on that in another blog) After the service ended I was approached by an older gentleman who thought I was a member. We began chatting and it turned out he was a retired Captain (a pilot) who invited me along with some of the others to be his guest at a wine and appetizers get together after the service for donors. I was delighted and had a fabulous evening chatting with all sorts of interesting people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the scenes at dusk when the town lights start to come on. You've captured the mood rather well, both physically and internally. Thanks for sharing....
George

Teresa Porter said...

That sounds like it turned out to be a really neat trip. Way to meet people! Your art piece looks lovely by the way. I am excited to hear more about your honesty in the art world ideas!

Love
T

Michal said...

Thanks, G! It was a really nice town to wander around in at night.

It did turn out to be a really great trip. I had a much better time at the cathedral shindig than I did at the art gala. But the snacks were a bit better at the art show. Ha ha.