Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Goodbyes

What is hard about living on a ship with 400 others? I am told it is the goodbyes. I don't always know how something will effect me before I consciously realize how valuable it is. Our friends Mark and Peggy from NYC left the ship on Sunday. I was feeling fine until it actually hit me how different it would be now and how I would miss them.
They are easy to be around. We are all liberal thinkers and no one was smothering so we naturally did some things together and then went on our way. It is a relationship that is so comfortable you might not notice how integral it is.

Mark is social and outgoing and so the two of them connected us (who were busy hiding away trying to survive community life) to a lot of different groups we wouldn't normally have been aquainted with. Peggy is humble and a thoughtful speaker. She was my skin guru and master yogurt maker. They both are very well read, talented at their jobs, and the best hummus makers around for counties. They are sorely missed by a lot of people.

Post departure we were left feeling like we had no friends left. As I ran into people over the next few days on the ship, I realized others were feeling the same way. A lot of people are leaving in the next few weeks. School on board the ship is over and families and teachers are heading home for the holidays leaving few of us left.

As one person who has seen people come and go over a 2 year period put it, it does change, but it becomes different and goes on until it changes again. I like change when I control it, not so much when it controls me.

I am suddenly really conscious of our friends that are still here. With two months left, I have a lot of hanging out to do.

And to Mark and Peggy, we will see you again somewhere around the world!

1 comment:

M said...

good God, how we miss you guys too. being back in a city we love makes the adjustment a little easier, but i think it's made even gentler by the fact that i know we'll be back and i know we'll see you guys again at some point.

either that, or it's the jet-lag.

m