Monday, March 24, 2008

Robertsport, Liberia: The First Evening

Roberts Port beach...well, there are miles of beaches around the small town of Robertsport.

It is paradise.

Our tents and hammocks were set up.

Some of the local children found us entertaining.

We were situated in front of a small inlet of of ocean water that was pretty stagnant.

The sun set was amazing. From about the point you see it in this photo it disappears into the harmattan, the layer of fine dust that blows every season from the Sahara Dessert.

Amazing skies.

I wandered up and down the beach. The evenings are muggy and hot. They days stifling unless you jumped in the cool water.

In another life I was a sea creature and lived in the water.



I head back to the campsite. We sit around a fire and talking for hours and then head to bed. Our small mouldy tent keeps out the thousands of ants (or so we think), but fails to keep out the monsoon rains that open up on us that evening. I have small trickles of water falling on my feet and bum and an occasional unknown insect scuttling across my body. I hear the occasional slap of skin from Nigel. But it is warm and I love camping and swimming so I am still in heaven.

No comments: